Sunday, August 12, 2012

Borderlands, FPS or RPG?

OK, so pending the fact that I am writing sporadically at this point, it seems no surprise that I am writing about a game right before Borderlands 2 comes out. I started playing the first installment about 2 weeks ago, and couldn't stop. With the graphic kills, the insane amount of side quests, and a huge land to explore, I found my self wrapped into the story (or stories if you got the DLC). Plus killing stuff with a rocket launcher that melted people's faces was a plus.
I bought a copy at Gamestop, which happened to have all the DLC, and was used by one of the workers there (thanks, Rick!). I started going through the game with Mordecai, the Hunter since I am a big fan of both sniper rifles and revolvers. At first, I thought the game was a bit over the top. Then, after playing for a few hours, I realized it was overflowing with graphic novel style action and adventure. I really didn't expect the fun and level building that I experienced playing this at first, but as I progressed, I became more engrossed in trying to finish side quests like I did in Skyrim and Fallout.
I find myself working more and more on side quests, as the main story I can usually run through pretty quick, and with the DLC, the action just keeps going. The gameplay is great, but the way the weapons are setup, I am still trying to figure out the best combinations for damage. So far I have found that the sniper rifle doesn't really need any modifiers, as it does unbelivable damage with the Hunter, but more levels may provide more weapons that I may find fun.
Overall I would rate this game a 9, with all of the DLC, the expansive weaponry, the ability to level up and change your character to what suits you, and of course, the blood and guts. The only problem I have is the load time between maps. It does take a bit of time to load, but in the end it is worth it.
I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of ARPG's and first person shooters. Soon, the 2nd Borderlands will be coming out, and I for one will be getting it.
Keep on gaming, and I will be writing again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment